A Korean POW in Normandy, a hero in a new movie

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
Turkistanische Hiwi

Re: A Korean POW in Normandy, a hero in a new movie

Post by Turkistanische Hiwi » 21 Dec 2011, 07:58

Fascinating! To me, the troopers in the group photo appear to be Kazakhs, Uzbeks, or Tajiks but I'm biased ;) Korean - wow, that's really awesome. If it were any of the Central Asian peoples, I'm sure someone on the Allied side would've been able to discern that they were speaking a variant of Turkish or Persian rather quickly; the fact it took a while really enforces the Korean angle (not to mention the actual guy telling the story!). Korean - I still can't get over how awesome this is; I'm sure his opinion of how "awesome" it was probably differs significantly from mine. The twists and turns life threw this guy's way are just staggering. Just imagine if weapons could speak, and the tales they could tell of where (and for whom) they fought? :)
Eric

Kim Sung

A Korean POW in Normandy, a hero in a new movie

Post by Kim Sung » 25 Dec 2011, 12:14

I've just now come home from the movie theater after watching this movie at last.

My impression is that this movie is an international version of director Kang's previous masterpiece 'Taegukgi'. Gory battle scenes, humanity and sacrifice are the main themes as they were in Taegukgi. Battle scenes are much more vivid than those of Taegukgi and the story is unfolded much faster.

However, I felt something wanting about this new movie. Because this movie encompasses three different fronts(the Battle of Nomonhan, the Russian front and the Battle for Normandy) and involves so many actors of diferent nationalities, it is necessarily a little confusing. This is understandable, considering what the Korean POW had experienced during his 12,000km journey throughout Eurasian continent.

Anyway, I think this move was quite well-made, obviously another masterpiece war movie which is somewhat experimental in nature with the coverage of three fronts in a single movie. I'd like to applaud director Kang and his production crew. This was a nice Christmas present along with the news of Kim Jong-Il's death. 8-)

rednas

Post by rednas » 25 Dec 2011, 17:04

I hope that this movie will get in theaters in Europe too, looks very good.

nobodyofnote

Post by nobodyofnote » 06 Jan 2012, 10:06

Jang Dong Gun’s “My Way” Invited to Berlin International Film Festival

[img]http://soompi_images.s3.amazonaws.com/6defffa5a17c54dacc42a4f55eaf4cdf_large.jpg[/img]

Jang Dong Gun’s new movie, “My Way,” featuring Japanese actor Odagiri Joe and Chinese actress Fan Bingbing, has been invited to the 62nd Berlin International Film Festival (BIFF). The blockbuster film directed by Kang Jae Kyu will make its way to the BIFF from February 9 to 19.

The film will be shown as part of the special panorama category. The section is usually reserved for films that show both commercial success and artistic excellence. “My Way” is the third Korean movie to be invited in this category since “The Unjust” and “Woman on the Beach.”

“This movie is not just about the devastation of war but is intended to find hope and love from it. I hope the message gets delivered well to all the viewers in not just Asia but around the world, as well,” Kang Jae Kyu said in a statement.

“My Way” was released on December 21 in Korea with nearly $28 million USD in production costs.
Source: http://www.soompi.com/news/jang-dong-gu ... m-festival (Soompi, 5th January 2012).

JockCampbell41

Post by JockCampbell41 » 28 Jan 2012, 07:30

I must admit the highlight clip is very impressive - I have no doubt that the human story will be touching and hopefully as well told as Taegukgi's... my worry here are the historical facts, the little details which I fear - and I am almost sure - will let it down. I worry that it will try too much to copy the fireworks of films like Enemy at the Gates or Saving Private Ryan that it will over-do it and become schlocky. Also I worry that it will go for scenes that are emotionally strong but short on historical fact. The P-51 strafing scene is one.

Another glaring problem - though I have yet to see how the film handles this - is the most prominent source for the 'Koreans at D-Day' story are the photo of the young soldier taken at 'Utah Beach' and the account of Lt.Robert Brewer of the 506th P.I.R., 101st Airborne, which landed behind Utah beach. Here's the thing - when you say 'Utah Beach' that doesn't necessarily mean the actual beach itself but it could refer to units and places further inland but within the area of the beachhead. I worry that My Way will take the 'beach' reference too literally. Was there actually an OstBattalion directly assigned to beach defense or was the battalion slightly further inland? It's little details like this that make the story - even if it's fictionalized - more realistic. I certainly hope they don't have 101st airborne troopers jumping on to the beaches of Normandy!

V1Oliver

Post by V1Oliver » 10 Jun 2012, 11:39

Part of this movie can be found on youtube. Just search for "my way korean movie english subtitled"
Am I allowed to post direct links to copyright violating youtube movies?
It hasn't been fully uploaded yet, but I hope the channel owner will upload the rest of the film soon

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 10 Jun 2012, 12:00

V1Oliver wrote:Am I allowed to post direct links to copyright violating youtube movies?
No.

/Marcus

gambadier

Post by gambadier » 21 Feb 2014, 09:17

Nothing unique in all this. UK captured two Tibetans in Normandy, initially nobody had a clue where they were from but a well travelled British officer recognised the language and was able to talk with them. They were a couple of herdsmen who had strayed into the USSR and found themselves in the Red Army, then captured by the Germans and found themselves in the German Army. Doubtless there are other similar stories.

KHeitmann

Post by KHeitmann » 11 Apr 2014, 20:38

The film "My Way" is available from Netflix via DVD or via streaming.
If your sword is too short, take one step forward. - Japanese proverb

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”