Winter cleat identification

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
Vince Cnude

Winter cleat identification

Post by Vince Cnude » 20 Aug 2005 01:43

Hi all,

I’ve been reading this forum for awhile and I think this is the best place to get an answer to this question.

I found what I think is a winter track cleat added on panzers to get a better grip on ice.

It was found in the Ardennes in an area where the 2nd panzerdivision abandoned several panthers and panzer IV and RSO during the offensive in December 1944.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vince Cnude

Post by Vince Cnude » 20 Aug 2005 01:45

I saw same some similar additional track on the 116e panzerdivision panther in Houffalize but this model seems not to be exactly the same.

Does anyone would know more about this type of cleat?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sander D

Post by Sander D » 20 Aug 2005 11:05

Hi Vince

Some time a go, the same added winter tacks where posted on a other forum.

They said that the first winter track cleat pictures that you posted are used on a Pz. IV tracks,the other one are used on RSO tracks .

This is the site where they where posted on :

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/ ... ge=2&pp=15

You have to look on the second photo for the RSO tracks and eight pz.IV tracks

Regards

Sander

Vince Cnude

Post by Vince Cnude » 22 Aug 2005 18:06

Thanks Sander!!

I think this is the confirmation I was looking for.

This cleat was collected by a local and spent sixty years in a barn. As it was found along with a panther track link I fought at first that it could be belonging to the same panzer but as the parts do not fit I had doubts.

Later on I found out that several pz IV where abandoned nearby but I could not find any picture of this model wearing such a cleat.

Cheers

Vince

8wheels-good

Panzer IV ice cleat images

Post by 8wheels-good » 23 Aug 2005 13:32

the last image shows the track on the PzIV/70 at Kubinka, the rest are from online auctions
Hope these help
Craig[/img]

Vince Cnude

Great pictures thanks

Post by Vince Cnude » 24 Aug 2005 18:43

Thanks 8wheels that’s some very nice pictures :D

That’s the first picture I see with this cleat on a panzer track, Kubinka really has a wonderful collection. I wish I can go there someday even if I think that the conditions of admission are a bit too tough. Anyway I wish I could find a good pictures gallery from their collection but I couldn’t find it yet.

Thanks again to both of you for your very useful feedback

Cheers

Vince

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”