Rochus Misch

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
Geli

Rochus Misch

Post by Geli » 21 Aug 2005 02:53

I just came back from my amazing first trip to Germany. When I was in Berlin, I met Rochus Misch. I spent the afternoon at his house. My German isn't the best and Rochus doesn't speak English, but we managed to communicate a bit. I understood parts of what he was saying.

He showed me his Iron Cross and other decorations from his uniform; he showed me a handerchief that was embroidered with Hitler's initials, and he even had a red marble brick from the Reich's Chancellory.

Rochus is in excellent health, and seems to be in very good spirits. He even sang "Lili Marleen" with me. :D

Shc

Post by Shc » 21 Aug 2005 03:16

Oh wow, your so lucky!!!
I would do anything to meet Misch... :(

So do you have any pictures of your meeting with Misch and/or of your trip?
I would love to see them :)

~Shc~

Chuck_jm

Post by Chuck_jm » 21 Aug 2005 03:21

:o :o How great Geli...yes some pics would be amazing.
How you got to know him?

Chuck/

Geli

Post by Geli » 22 Aug 2005 04:10

Chuck_jm wrote::o :o How great Geli...yes some pics would be amazing.
How you got to know him?

I first wrote to him about 2 or 3 years ago. Rochus has a friend who speaks some English who helps him answer his mail from English-speaking "fans." I became pen pals with this friend of Rochus's. I communicated with Rochus through him, and wrote directly to Rochus a few times over the years. Rochus and I even spoke once on the telephone with my German teacher interpreting.

I had told Rochus that I was touched by the story of Heidi Goebbels saying, "Misch, Misch, du bist ein Fisch!" For the past two years, I sent him fish-shaped ornaments at Christmastime. I nearly cried when I arrived at his house and saw both ornaments on display in his living room. Rochus had saved all of my letters to him, and all of the letters that he gets from people all over the world. He's a very sweet man; I like him a lot.

I took a couple of photos with my own camera, but have not developed them yet. My pen pal brought a friend along who is an excellent photographer, and he took many photos of me and Rochus and promised to send me copies. But I must admit that I have some reservations about posting a photo of myself on this website, so I would have to give that some consideration.

Chuck_jm

Post by Chuck_jm » 22 Aug 2005 15:51

Amazing Geli, thanks for sharing.

Chuck/

Erich Hartmann

Post by Erich Hartmann » 22 Aug 2005 16:39

How did you like Berlin? :D

Larry D.
Financial supporter

Post by Larry D. » 22 Aug 2005 16:54

But I must admit that I have some reservations about posting a photo of myself on this website, so I would have to give that some consideration.

Probably not a good idea, Geli. If someone here is desperate to see the photos, then perhaps its best to do that one-on-one off-line. No point in attracting any nut cases.

Geli

Post by Geli » 23 Aug 2005 02:56

Erich Hartmann wrote:How did you like Berlin? :D

Oh, I loved every place I went to on my trip! First I went to München, then Berchtesgaden, then Nürnberg, then Berlin. I guess you might call this The Brown Tour, ha-ha. Anyway, Berlin was lovely! I especially loved the boat ride to Pfaueninsel. I felt so at home there; I'll have to buy a house along the water in Berlin if I ever win the lottery. :D

Erich Hartmann

Post by Erich Hartmann » 23 Aug 2005 03:27

Geli wrote:
Erich Hartmann wrote:How did you like Berlin? :D

Oh, I loved every place I went to on my trip! First I went to München, then Berchtesgaden, then Nürnberg, then Berlin. I guess you might call this The Brown Tour, ha-ha. Anyway, Berlin was lovely! I especially loved the boat ride to Pfaueninsel. I felt so at home there; I'll have to buy a house along the water in Berlin if I ever win the lottery. :D

Sounds like a great trip, glad you liked it! :D

tillyt

Rochus Misch whereabouts

Post by tillyt » 15 Nov 2005 10:43

HI all

I wonder if anyone knows if Rochus Misch still does walking tours. I know he is now 88 years old but understand that he has done tours in the past ?

Or does anyone know where I can write or email him?

Thank you

Geli

Re: Rochus Misch whereabouts

Post by Geli » 15 Nov 2005 22:48

tillyt wrote:I wonder if anyone knows if Rochus Misch still does walking tours. I know he is now 88 years old but understand that he has done tours in the past ?

Or does anyone know where I can write or email him?

I don't know of him giving tours for money to tourists, never heard of that. But historians and documentary-makers frequently ask him to go back to the Führerbunker site and talk about his memories. We were talking about going when I was there, but we didn't actually make it. There is some overlap of the bunker site and the location of the new Holocaust Memorial. He said that the last time he went there, people got upset and threatened to call the police on him. :roll:

I don't think he has a computer, so email won't work. I'll send you his address when I get a chance.

Roderick

Post by Roderick » 16 Nov 2005 00:28

SS Staff Sgt Misch at Wolfsschanze, 1941. A man always loyal to Führer Adolf Hitler.

Roderick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Karl

Post by Karl » 16 Nov 2005 15:26

Interview from Der Spiegel, Nr 35, 23.8.04, my translation:

‘Now the ‘Chef’ will get burned’

Hitler’s bodyguard and telephone operator Rochus Misch [talks] about the last days in the Führerbunker.

Misch, 87, was born in Upper Silesia's Alt Schalkendorf. The learned painter lives today in Berlin.

Spiegel: Herr Misch, when was the last time you saw Adolf Hitler?

Misch: On the 30th of April, 1945. It was maybe around 11 pm, he came out of his rooms again and passed me by. I stood up and we looked at each other. He then continued on walking until the end of the hall and then back again, he stood still, I looked after him, he turned around once again and then he disappeared.

Spiegel: How did he seem to you?

Misch: Very calm.

Spiegel: And what happened then?

Misch: Everyone was listening and waiting for the shot. I in any case did not hear anything. Then someone shouted: 'Linge, Linge, I think it is so far [it is time/it happened].' Linge [Heinz Linge was Hitler's 'bodyguard/servant' - edit.] then pushed by me and stood before Hitler's door. Everybody was deadly silent. The only one talking excitedly was me on the telephone.

Spiegel: Did you go in the room?

Mische: No, but when Linge or Günsche [Otto Günsche was Hitler's adjutant - edit.] opened the door, I saw Hitler's body on the sofa. Eva Braun was lying next to him, her knees pointing in his direction, and Hitler was slumped over forward.

Spiegel: Johann Rattenhuber, the Chef of Hitler's bodyguards [Leibgarde], later said, under Moscow detention, that Linge gave him the impression that he gave Hitler the 'mercy shot' [Gnadenschuss].

Misch: I don't believe that, that doesn't suit him/is not like him. Earlier, Hitler sought the advice of Doctor Professor Werner Haase, on the surest way to commit suicide.

Spiegel: Was Hitler's suicide a surprise to you?

Mische: We always clung to the hope that he would be brought out of Berlin. But he didn't want to, there was nothing we could do. Then it went from day to day, half-day to half-day, hour to hour, until eventually he told Günsche or Linge, that he no longer wished to be disturbed.

End of part I.

Reader3000

Post by Reader3000 » 16 Nov 2005 15:51

Quote:
A man always loyal to Führer Adolf Hitler.

:roll: What a man....pff... :? 8O

gunslinger

Post by gunslinger » 16 Nov 2005 16:58

Well im tempted to agree with Panzerass reaction,
With all respect, but,
I nearly cried when I arrived at his house and saw both ornaments on display in his living room. Rochus had saved all of my letters to him

I,m not sure about this sort of admiration :?
can some one pleace explain, where interest stops, and admiration begins.
especialy in this field of interest.

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”