Japanese torture methods

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
zstar

Japanese torture methods

Post by zstar » 06 Sep 2005, 17:43

I know of some methods they used such as putting water up peoples noses and then stomping on them or making them kneel in the sun for hours.

What other methods did they use?

Tycoon2002

Post by Tycoon2002 » 06 Sep 2005, 19:36

My father said when he was captured in an Allied POW camp that he wittnesed the Japanese hanging people by their thumbs for days on end.
They also made them kneel, than put a blank of wood under, and above their legs to cut circulation.
The more serious methods the Japanese used was crucifying people by nailing them onto trees or on a cross and watch them bake slowly under the sun, hung people by their tounges, setting dogs on live prisoners or putting them into wooden cages and dunking them into infested swamps for long periods of time - most prisoners drowned and some Japanese drowned prisoners for nothing but amusement. - These are only some of the methods the Japanese used.

As Allied soldiers had always said during their expereince in war 'You can turn your back to a German, but NEVER EVER turn your back on a Jap'

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 06 Sep 2005, 19:51

zstar -

Go to the following web site and begin at page 1001 and read until you reach page 1050 or so. It's a virtual catalog of all the different methods.

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/PTO/IMTFE/index.html

--Larry

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 06 Sep 2005, 20:05

Thanks for the link, Larry D.

zstar

Post by zstar » 09 Sep 2005, 06:07

Larry D. wrote:zstar -

Go to the following web site and begin at page 1001 and read until you reach page 1050 or so. It's a virtual catalog of all the different methods.

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/PTO/IMTFE/index.html

--Larry
Thanks for the link

I personally found the part about cannibalism most disturbing.

Landsturm

Post by Landsturm » 26 Nov 2006, 23:01

Visited Thailand in 2000... and obviously River Kwai. The war "museum" there had a comprehensive collection of illustrations and drawings of Japanese POW treatment, including torture.

Penn44
Banned

Post by Penn44 » 26 Nov 2006, 23:29

Landsturm wrote:Visited Thailand in 2000... and obviously River Kwai. The war "museum" there had a comprehensive collection of illustrations and drawings of Japanese POW treatment, including torture.
Several weeks ago I watched a TV documentary on the River Kwai story, and several of the surviving British and Commonwealth POWs said that many/most of their guards were Koreans drafted into the Japanese Army. They said these Koreans were worse than the Japanese personnel. Unfortunately, I cannot recall the title of the documentary.

Penn44

alf

Post by alf » 27 Nov 2006, 02:54

Lord Russels classic book, "The Knights of Bushido" goes into a lot of detail

http://www.amazon.com/Knights-Bushido-H ... 1853674990

I once sat through a lecture by "Weary" Dunlop ( Australian Medical Officer on the Burma Railway). His matter of fact discussion of the experiences of the POW's made a large number present faint or leave to be sick. I was green around the gills at times myself. HIs "pointer" was a human fibula. He casually remarked he removed it from a British Lieutenant in 1943, without anathestic ( they had none).

To Penn, I think Russell Braddon in "The Naked Island" and Ray Parkin in his book "Into the Smother" mention the Korean guards as being especially brutal, but thats just my memory and these days it wanders. BTW Both books are classic accounts of the authors experiences as POW's of the Japanese.

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 27 Nov 2006, 03:41

historybuff99

Re: Japanese torture methods

Post by historybuff99 » 24 Jun 2009, 18:36

It is also illuminating to read the accounts by resistance people in the Philippines who were caught by the Japanese Kempetei. There are the famous cases of two women who rna agent networks and were interrogated in Manila.

They were given the "water cure" in which water was forced into their stomachs and then they were beaten. They were hung with their arms behind their backs and lifted by a stick passed through their elbows. They were beaten with the metal buckle end of a leather belt.

In one instance, one of the women was forced to watch the beating of another prisoner in this manner in a position where his blood spattered on her while being told that if she talked they would stop beating the man.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”