Heroic Defense of the Adzhimushkai Quarry in 1942

Discussions on WW2 in Eastern Europe.
Kim Sung

Heroic Defense of the Adzhimushkai Quarry in 1942

Post by Kim Sung » 29 Sep 2009, 11:23

I've found a footage of Natalya Troshchenko's 1986 movie, 'Derailed from the Skies' (Сошедшие с небес). From 0:42 to 0:53 of the footage, you can imagine what defenders' life in the underground garrison was like. The background song 'If it hadn't been for war' (Если б не было войны) sounds like a requiem for the heroes of the Adzhimushkay quarry...

Eugene (J. Baker)

Re:

Post by Eugene (J. Baker) » 29 Sep 2009, 11:28

gewehrdork wrote:This is news to me too. Is it possible this is a case of post war soviet revisionist propaganda ?.

How comfortable - etherything you don't know or don't like is "soviet revisionist propaganda". What a BS.

Baltasar

Re: Heroic Defense of the Adzhimushkai Quarry in 1942

Post by Baltasar » 29 Sep 2009, 12:44

Was the use of poison gas confirmed anywhere? Perhaps something in German documents hinting at the usage?

I wonder why the Germans fought for that quarry at all. Without supplies and water, that resistance would've fallen in on itself sooner or later. They just had to siege the quarry, perhaps try to block or destroy exists.

Baltasar

Re:

Post by Baltasar » 29 Sep 2009, 12:47

Kim Sung wrote:Nobody answers my questions. It is also a mystery that there are so few informations on the most heroic last stand in human history.
How do you determine that it was the most heroic?

Besides, I've never heard or read about that stand either.

Michate

Re: Heroic Defense of the Adzhimushkai Quarry in 1942

Post by Michate » 29 Sep 2009, 16:09

Was the use of poison gas confirmed anywhere? Perhaps something in German documents hinting at the usage?

I wonder why the Germans fought for that quarry at all. Without supplies and water, that resistance would've fallen in on itself sooner or later. They just had to siege the quarry, perhaps try to block or destroy exists.
Some time ago I had a short look at the study by Norbert Kunz: "Die Krim unter deutscher Herrschaft 1941–1944". IIRC, there was a short mentioning of the story along the lines that tear gas may have been used during mopping up and antipartisan operations, which were performed by security forces, Eastern battalions and so on (no first line combat troops).
There is nothing to indicate any special dramacy of the operations.

Marcus

Re: Defense of the Adzhimushkai Quarry in 1942

Post by Marcus » 26 Jan 2013, 13:07

Has any new sources been found to confirm the claims made in this thread?
It seems odd that it is unknown also to the members who have read a lot about the Eastern front also from a non-German perspective but of course it is possible that it has been mentioned only in Soviet-era Russian publications and that the information did not reach the west.

I did not find any answer posted to the below questions from Jarkko?
Jarkko Hietala wrote:I like to know what German unit(s) fought there for this 5 months time there must be thousands of Germans holding 15 000 - 20 000 troops inside caves so we can find German soldiers who have taken part of this battle?

I also like to know witch officer led this operation as German side?

Discussions on the claims of poison gas belong in the thread at http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=102632 and not in this thread.

/Marcus

Return to “WW2 in Eastern Europe”