Nordkaukasische Legion !

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
kindzjal

THANX !

Post by kindzjal » 10 Nov 2005, 19:17

Thanx a lot guys :)

POSTOYAN

Re: Does somebady know where this foto was taken ?

Post by POSTOYAN » 17 Nov 2005, 13:26

kindzjal wrote:Kaukasian volunteers .But where was this foto taken,??? Maybe in Poland ???
This photo is from the book of already mentioned Drzjabko "Under banners of the enemy"
These guys are not from SS,they have usuall WH uniform.
As we know single units of Waffen SS which used WH uniform were only kozak,but other ones had been in standart SS uniform.

Semenov

Re to kindzjal

Post by Semenov » 19 Nov 2005, 00:24

Hi, kindzjal!
This foto is made in North Italy. (It claimed one from Italian books).

Regards!

kindzjal

THAX !

Post by kindzjal » 19 Nov 2005, 20:04

THANX A LOT !
Best Regards .

jarek_g

Post by jarek_g » 20 Nov 2005, 02:52

In northern Italy one was two types of eastern units - a) Caucasian group (lager), like Cossack’s tabor and b) Kaukasiches Waffenverband der SS.

a) After German occupation part of Northern Caucasus also many of Caucasian mountaineers supported Wehrmacht on actions against Red Army and red partisans. North Caucasian’s Mountaineers were of service to supplementing existing already units, but also entered to newly created. From them one formed for example special units in different power, which protected oil - installations on Caucasus. North Caucasian units was then seated along almost all line of eastern front - from northern slopes of Caucasus, across Groznyj and Malgabek, and still Kamieniec Podolski, Mirgorod and Dniepropietrovsk on Ukraine, till Leningrad on north.
On January and of February 1943 numerous groups of Mountaineers (ca. 40 thousand.), witches did not want to fall back under Soviet authority. Rout their escapes was nearing to Cossack's. Led from Kislovodsk across Kaidan, Tcherkiessk, Kropotkin and Azov on Ukraine, and through Taganrog, Mariupol to Melitopol, where Mountaineers stopped on several months. Attitude this Caucasian group was much smaller than Cossack's and heavily would be her to create homogeneous autonomous area, for the example Cossack's.
Group of mountaineers (over ten thousand man) was dependent so-called Caucasian Management at Department to matters of Invaded’s eastern grounds( Kaukasische Leitstelle - manager Zeigler). Immediate management performed liaison-officer between OKH and Ostministerium Hauptmann Paul Theurer, which spent all time with group Caucasian immigrants.
In further tramp Mountaineers left in January 1944. Rout their tramps led by Kachovka, Nikolaev, Pervomaisk, Voznesensk, Vinnica, Proskurov, Kamieniec Podolski, Tarnopol and Lvov, and from there with railway on Byelorussia in regions Slonim.
Caucasian defensive villages created from end of February 1944 r on Byelorussias, together with Cossacks and Kaminski's group, dam for being developed polish and soviet's partisan movement. Over 1 thousand Mountaineers in age 25 - 40 of years was included to German Police, creating in Slonim on the ground order HSSPF „Russland-Mitte" from 15 March 1944 two Caucasian Schutzmannschafts battalions (70 and 71). Instead from remaining men one organized two military units - volunteer regiment, assembling of soldiers in age 18-40 and people's regiment, consisting from soldiers in age 40-70, created national companies of self-defense counting ca. 220 persons. 3 November 1944 volunteer regiment counted: 75 officers, 298 NCO's and 1163 privates. CO of regiment was Hauptmann Tumaev (Osetian).
In July 1944 r Caucasian camp moved on West. Following place of halt became Sieradz (Schieratz) and Zdunska Wola regions, where stayed somewhat less than two months. Here one finished of organization of mountaineer's units and one waited on decisions German commands, regarding distributions of refugees in place, which not it is necessary to leave in short time. Decisions, relating Cossacks and Mountaineers, dropped in August 1944. One directed camp on dependent SS-Gruppenführer Globocnik - HSSPF Adriatisches Küstenland.
In end of August 1944 Caucasian units, and families together with belongings, was transported by railway to northern Italy in regions Carnia-Amaro. From where succeeded in mountainous regions Poluzzo and became seated in Carnia Alpe territory. Was found there ca. 8 thousand. men, women and children. Here also one chose, from being suitable to lineal services of younger soldiers, candidates to Waffen-SS units whether of police. Obersturmführer der SS Kunezhev began 85 men to Nordkaukasische Waffengruppe der SS. Caucasian units to end of war created second line of protection to approach to Passo Monte - important pass on italo-austrian border. On 22. 04. 1945 Caucassian Lager composed of 4712 men, women and ochildren.
Lager composed:
Freiw. Nordkaukasiche Regiment - 1860 men (1.05.1945) still under command captain Tumaev. In regiment entered soldiers of 18-40-years.

Nordkaukasiche Volks Regiment - CO captain H.(name unknown, only initial - nationality Karachai).
North Caucassian’s self-defence Chief was Safar Kasbek
Cherkess Coy ( 220 man i.e. „sabers” and „bayonets”) - Hptm. Hatkov
Karachai Coy ( 212) - CO unknown,
Ossetian Coy ( 230) - CO unknown,
Adygey Coy ( 205) - CO unknown,
Kabardin Coy ( 222) - CO unknown,
Mounted Gendarmerie( 90 sabres) - Hptm. Kuliev.

b) Kaukasiches Waffenverband der SS - German CO was SS-Staf. Arved Theuermann, Caucasian CO (irregular or informal) was firstly general Lazar Bicherahov (Ossetian, did not embrace function on cause unhealthy) and later general Sultan Kelech Girei to end of war.
Curious detail: 10 April 1945 to Caucasian units included part of Georgian soldiers from Bn. II/198.

Sources:
NARA T-175/7/2608444.
NARA T-175/168/2700458.
A. K. Lenivov, Pod kazatchim znamenem, München 1970, s. 112-117.
V. Naumenko, Velikoe predatelstvo, t.II, New York 1970, s. 98-99.

Bestreg.
Jarek

Mehmet Fatih

Post by Mehmet Fatih » 20 Nov 2005, 13:30

Thanks for this great info jarek_g!!!
It is really great for me to hear that there are Circassian units in German army as my father is Adygey and my mom is Karachai. ;)

Regards

Kurasier

Post by Kurasier » 20 Nov 2005, 18:49

Hi,
My grandfather was Oberzahlmeister in the Nordkaukasischen Infanterie Battaillion 803. He was with this unit in the years 1943 till 1944/45. I would like to find out more about this specific unit. All I know is from the Internet and Tessin.Unfourtunately my grandfather died before I could ask him any questionsand the Wast doesen't have much informations about him. I would be very thankfull if anybody could give me information about this unit.
Allthough there aren't much documents related to my grandfather's time in the Btl. 803, I can post these, if someone is interested in them.
Best Regards
Christoph

jarek_g

Nordkaukasische Infanterie Bataillon 803

Post by jarek_g » 20 Nov 2005, 21:22

Hi Kurasier,

Nordkaukasische Infanterie Bataillon 803
Some info about this unit:
Formed 23.08.1942 in Paprotnia (Generalgouvernement) from Ossetian POW (firstly as III. Ausbildungs Bataillon der Nordkaukasische Legion)
Renamed 19.04.1944 - IV./Festungs GR 860 in 347. ID
In August 1944 - Returned to preceding names Nordkauk. IB 803.
In March 1945 - as GR 493 (cryptonym) in 219. ID
CO - unknown for me

And yet info about 347. ID:

347.Infanterie-Division (bodenstadig) had been formed in late 1942 for garrison duty in Holland. In April 1944 it had received (Nordkaukasische) Infanterie-Bataillon 803 and (Turkestanische) Infanterie-Bataillon 787, which made up the fourth battalion of Festungs-Infanterie-Regiment 860 and 861 respectively. It was committed to the fighting in the Normandy campaign and destroyed. On October 21, 1944 it had been reorganized to include three regiments of two battalions each. Grenadier-Regiment 860 was formed from Erganzung und Ausbildungs Bataillon 77 and 412; Grenadier-Regiment 861 from the staff of Erganzung und Ausbildungs Regiment 536, Erganzung und Ausbildungs Bataillon 454 and Landwehr-Festungs-Bataillon VII; and Grenadier-Regiment 880 from the staff of Reserve-Grenadier-Regiment 36, as well as Reserve-Grenadier-Bataillon 80 and 107. The division's Artillerie-Regiment 347 had four battalions.
Source: http://www.militaryhistoryonline.com/ww ... ter9b.aspx

Bestreg.
Jarek

kindzjal

Very Very good INFO !

Post by kindzjal » 21 Nov 2005, 18:53

Jarek You did a great job. Tank You very very much !!!!
Much respect !

Kindzjal

kindzjal

To Kurasier !

Post by kindzjal » 21 Nov 2005, 20:26

Kurasier , I am really interesed in the documents that you have .
Could You post them ???
Best reg.

jopaerya

Post by jopaerya » 21 Nov 2005, 21:59

Hi All

Found a name of the commander of the
Nordkaukasisches Infanterie-Bataillon
803 is Oblt. Kramer

Source = Osttruppen in westelijk Nederland

Regards Jos

Kurasier

Post by Kurasier » 21 Nov 2005, 21:59

Hi,
first of all thank you Jarek and jos for posting such detaillied information.

kindzjal:
The only document where you can see the connection to the Btl 803 is the following:
It is written on the inside of Alfred Rosenbergs: Die Gestaltung der Idee.
It reads:'

To our dear Oberzahlmeister ... best birthday wishes
The Officers Corps of the Nordkauksisches Btl 803
O.U.
August 1944

The other documents are a dictionary, which contains a stamp with the FpNr of the Btl 803 and a booklet about Texel written by an soldier.
I can post them to, but I don't think that one can see the connection between the btl 803 and the item.
Best Regards
Christoph
Attachments
803zuge.JPG
803zuge.JPG (152.45 KiB) Viewed 4663 times

Semenov

Re:

Post by Semenov » 21 Nov 2005, 23:05

CO of the Kaukasisches Waffen Verband der SS on 1.3.1945:

CO - SS-Staf.d. R. Arved Theuermann
Ia - SS-Ostubaf. Hubert Ritter von Aichinger
Ic - SS-Hstuf.d. R. Emmanuel von Yaschkevich
CO Waffen-Gruppe "Armenien" (it isn't in Italy) - Waf.Staf. Vardan Sarkisjan
CO Waffen-Gruppe "Azerbajdzan" (it isn't in Italy) - Waf.Staf. Magomed Nabi-oglu Isfrailov
CO Waffen-Gruppe "Georgien" - Waf.Staf. furst Pridon Zulukidze
CO Waffen-Gruppe "Nordkaukasien" - Waf.Staf. Kuchuk Ulagai
CO I/Waffen-Gruppe "Nordkaukasien" - rotmistr G. Tuaev (osetian, not Tumaev as write Jarek_g)

Regards!

jopaerya

Post by jopaerya » 22 Nov 2005, 20:56

Hi All

Here some photo's of Nordkaukasisches
Infanterie-Bataillon 835 in the Le Havre area
was on 19-04-1944 III/Jäger-Regt. 34 (L) of the
17 Luftwaffe Felddivision .

Photo's from 39/45 Magazine No 8

Regards Jos

kindzjal

Nice picks !