Nordkaukasische Legion !

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 02 Dec 2005, 19:31

Speaking of Sonderverband Bergmann, here is a summarized history of the formation that I was able to piece together from what I had. I do not pretend that it is 100% correct or complete, but at least it's a starting point for any comments other may like to make, including suggested corrections and additional material.

Sonderverband Bergmann

Formed October 1941 at the Neuhammer training ground in lower Silesia by OKW/Amt Ausland
Abwehr II from Georgian, Armenian, North Caucasian and Azerbaijani POWs and deserters from the Red Army. Abwehr II was that section of German military intelligence responsible for sabotage and indigenous uprisings. Its first commander was Hauptmann (Captain) Dr. Theodor Ober1änder, a former professor of economics from the University of Königsberg in East Prussia. Prior to October 1941, Oberländer had been briefly attached to the German government in the Ukraine as an intelligence officer. Bergmann was a German Army field formation comprised of Eastern volunteers. It was only designated as an Abwehr unit as a cover because Hitler did not trust the use of Russia ethnics in a combat role.
Lineage
Stab and 1.-5.Kp. Abwehr-Unternehmen Bergmann II (Oct 41 - 8 Apr 43)
Stab, 13.Schw., 14.Schw., I.Btl.(Stabskp. and 1.-4.Kp.), II.Btl.(Stabskp. and 5.-8.Kp.), and III.Btl.(Stabskp. and 9.-12.Kp.) (8 Apr 43 - 12 Feb 45)
History
May – Oct 42: Bergmann deployed from Germany to the Caucasus in May 1942 in preparation for the German invasion of that area. During the summer it gradually increased in size so that by the fall of 1942 it had to be reorganized as a full battalion comprising 3 companies of Georgians, one of Azerbaijani and one of Armenians.
8 Oct 42: 7. (Tscherkes.) Schwadron with 145 men, 8. (Tscherkes.) Schwadron with 152 men,
9. (Tscherkes.) Schwadron with 162 men, 10. (Georg.) Kp. with 252 men, and 11. (Aserbeidsch.) Kp. with 252 men all formed and sworn in this date by Oberländer in the Cherkessk area in North Caucasia, and the formation of a 13. (Ers.) Kp. with 400 officers and men was ordered.
29 Oct 42: 7th, 8th and 9th Squadrons all transferred to Nalchik for operations under III. Panzerkorps this date.
Oct 42 – Apr 43: the Battalion fought along the Terek River in the Caucasus during the winter of 1942/43 as a combat unit where it reportedly “gave a good account of itself”. In April 1943 Bergmann was expanded to a full regiment: I Bn. (Georgian), II Bn. (North Caucasian) and III Bn. (North Caucasian).
26 Mar 43: : I. Kauk.Lw.Feld-Btl. with 270 North Caucasians ordered from Krivoy Rog/Ukraine to Bakhchisarai/Crimea for incorporation into Sonderverband Bergmann this date.
May 43: Oberländer relieved of his command on Hitler’s orders for distributing a political paper calling for the mass recruitment of Eastern (Russian) volunteers into the German Army. Hitler was opposed to this position.
24 Apr 43: in Kokosi/Crimea, between Bakhchisaray and Yalta, under 153. Fe1d-Ausb.Div./Befh.Krim
with: 1,080 Georg., 420 Aserb., 142 Armen., and 811 Nordkauk. (total: 2,453).
Jun 43: Bergmann evacuated across the Kerch Strait to the Crimea as the Germans withdrew from the Caucasus.
1943: at some point during the year Bergmann was infiltrated by Soviet agents and major elements of the regiment came very close to deserting to the Red Army. The conspirator, 3 officers, 3 officer cadets, 2 NCOs and 4 privates, were arrested by the German Secret Field Police (GFP), tried and executed.
Jun 43 – Feb 44: the Regiment remained together in the Crimea under Commander-in-Chief Crimea/Army Group A. In the fall of 1943 the II Battalion changed its composition from North Caucasian to Azerbaijani, while the other two remained as before.
Feb 44: the Regiment was split-up for the first time: the II (Azerbaijani) Battalion, which fought briefly with the LXXII Corps (6th Army/Army Group A) along the Bug River in South Russia during February and early March, was ordered to report to the Volunteer Depot Division (Freiwillige-Stamm-Div.), 2d Regiment, in Mende, France on 12 March.
Mar 44: the I (Georgian) and III (North Caucasian) Battalions were relieved of duty in the Crimea under XXXXIX. Gebirgskorps/17. Armee (Heeresgruppe A) and transported to southern Greece where they were assigned to the LXVIII Corps/Army Group E. They remained in this status until September 1944.
Aug 44 – Mar 45: the II (Azerbaijani) Battalion was transferred from France to the Warsaw area where it came under 9th Army, remaining there until March 1945. The I (Georgian) Battalion was attached to the 11th Field Division (Luftwaffe) in Macedonia during September, then withdrew toward Croatia, as did the III (North Caucasian) Battalion, both being located in the Višegrad area (southeast of Sarajevo) at the end of December attached to 181. Infanterie-Div. In March 1945 the I (Georgian) Battalion was in Syrmia under the XXXIV Corps and the III (North Caucasian) Battalion was in Slavonia under the LXXXXI Corps.
12 Feb 45: Bergmann’s Regiment HQ and 13th and 14th Squadrons were disbanded but the three battalions continued to operate independently.
Mar 45: during March the II (Azerbaijani) Battalion was taken away from the 9th Army and reassigned to Russian Brigade 599 in Denmark. The other two battalions fought on in Croatia until the end of the war.
27 Mar 45: I.(Georg.)/Bergmann with XXXIV.A.K. in Syrmia; III.(Nordkaukas.)/Bergmann with LXXXXI.A.K. in eastern Slavonia.
FpNs: Stab with 13. and 14. Schwadron (39180)
Stab I. and 1.-4.Kp. (19197)
Stab II. and 5.-8.Kp. (21547)
Stab III. and 9.-12.Kp. (24144)
Kommandeur:
Hptm. Dr. Theodor Oberländer (Oct 41 - ? )

[Sources: Tessin; Kannapin; Buss; Thorwald; NARA WashDC: RG 242 (T-78 roll 413); (T-311 roll 150/847, 993; roll 179); (T-501 roll 19/1278; roll 77/123-24, 166)].

Georgien

Post by Georgien » 02 Dec 2005, 20:28

Larry,

Wow great info. Thanks a lot. Do you know if Wilhelm Conaris masterminded the creation of Bergman? As I know it was his idea to create Abwehr II and he had full control of it untill 1944. According to Prince Givi Gabliani (officer in I Georgian Bergman unit) it was Canaris who was involved with Georgian govenrment in exile and financed/supported the creating of Georgian/Armenian/Azerbaijan units whithin Abwehr II. Do you know anything about connection between Conaris and estern volunteers (mainly Caucasians)?

Thanks a lot again!

Armenische_Legionar

Post by Armenische_Legionar » 02 Dec 2005, 22:32

Larry

Thatks for a Great info!!!!!!
But are you sure, that in May – Oct 42: Bergmann Sub-unit included one company from Armenians? By Freiburg military archives - in may 1942 in was an Armenische Sonder-Zug "Bergstreiger", which was a part of 5-th (Stab) company of Bergmann.
I know, that NARA - Washington archives has a lots of interestings but could you, please give me the source about Armenian company. :D

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 03 Dec 2005, 15:02

Thank you very much for your replies! :D

Georgien wrote:
Do you know anything about connection between Conaris and estern volunteers (mainly Caucasians)?
Your information regarding Canaris and the exile groups sounds correct, but I do not have any really good, well-researched biographies on Canaris so I cannot say with certainty. I have one book, David Kahn's Hitler's Spies, out in the garage and later today I will get it and take a look. The Kahn book is a thorough study of the Abwehr and there may be some mention of it there.

Armenische-Legionär wrote:
I know, that NARA - Washington archives has a lots of interestings but could you, please give me the source about Armenian company.
The information concerning the Armen.Kp. came from Microcopy T-311 roll 150 frame 847. That roll of microfilm has huge files (hundreds of pages) on the Ostvölkischer-Verbände in and under Heeresgruppe A in North Caucasia during the fall of 1942. I borrowed that roll of microfilm through interlibrary loan many years ago so I do not have it now. Otherwise, I would look up frame 847 for you and see if there is any additional information. Perhaps, and this is just a guess, the Armen.Sonderzug "Bergsträger" was a component of the Armenisches Kompanie. A Kompanie had a total of four (4) Züge.

Regards to all,

--Larry

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 04 Dec 2005, 00:54

Postscript to Georgien: I checked the David Kahn book as well as the one biography I have on Canaris and there was no mention of him having any contact with the Georgian government in exile, but of course that doesn't mean that he didn't.

Armenische_Legionar

Post by Armenische_Legionar » 04 Dec 2005, 14:17

Hello Lary D.

Thanks! What about frame 847 for me, I'll be very glad if you find something additional for my researching.

:D

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 04 Dec 2005, 15:50

Armenische Legionär:

As I said above:
I borrowed that roll of microfilm through interlibrary loan many years ago so I do not have it now. Otherwise, I would look up frame 847 for you and see if there is any additional information.
I do not have that roll.

--Larry

Armenische_Legionar

Post by Armenische_Legionar » 05 Dec 2005, 16:40

Larry

OK, fine!
Thanks!

Georgien

Post by Georgien » 05 Dec 2005, 23:44

Larry

Which biography of Canaris are you referring? to HITLER'S SPY CHIEF : The William Canaris Mystery by Richard Basset?

most of the books about his biography (I have read couple of them due to my interest of Canaris for a while now) concentrate more on his career before WWII as admiral and his best years as chief of Abwehr. Very few times did they mention foreign volunteers in Abwehr II units. The latest bio about him by Basset is more about his connections with British intelligence agency.

But i want to thank you for dedicating time and looking up for info in books about him. Indeed Admiral Canaris (most dangerous men in the world as soviets called him) was one of the most interesting personalities in Germany that time. As for his connections with Georgian government in exile, I got the info from the Gablianis book (officer of Gerogien division under Abwehr II). Gabliani himselve visited Canaris on some occasions. His also despised Hitler and wanted to collaborate in the plot against him. In fact as gabliani claims many members of Georgien Abwehr II division hated Nazi regime.

I will start translating that part from Georgian into English if anyone would be interested. His memoirs are very interesting and controversial.

All the best Larry and thanks again!

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 06 Dec 2005, 14:46

Georgien -

Yes, Canaris is an interesting case. Here is the only biography of him that I have:

Abshagen, Karl Heinz. Canaris. London: Hutchinson, 1956. Hb. Dj. 264p.

So much of what Canaris did was in secrecy that none of his biographers have been able to tell his entire life story. I think there is much that he did that we will never know about. The Abwehr is a fascinating subject and one that has not been fully explored yet.

Anything you might find time to translate regarding the Georgian military formations in the Wehrmacht and the Georgian involvement with the Abwehr would be of interest, or course.

Cheers,

--Larry

Georgien

Post by Georgien » 07 Dec 2005, 00:23

Dear Larry,

I would highly recommend you to get the new bio about Canaris, HITLER'S SPY CHIEF : The William Canaris Mystery by Richard Basset

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/029784 ... s&v=glance

The author did an excellent research and used many different and reliable sources. The most interesting part of this book is 1939 just before 'Operation Green' against Czechoslovakia. Canarsi masterminded coup with the support of the generals to arrest Histler if he would attack the Czechs. However, thanks to Chamberlain, the plot failed. It is a fascinating book. There are lot of new facts based on the memoirs amd diaries of British intelligence officers, the surviving Abwehr men and many more. The book starts with his adventures in Chile on the war ship of Dresden, Spanish civil and finally ends up with his Abwehr years and execution.

As for Givi Gabliani, i will starts translating interesting facts about the connection between Georgians in Berlin and Canaris. He just published his memoirs in Tbilisi but unfortunately they are in Georgian. He has many interesting facts about the people he met and places where he got the training for Abwehr (italian alps). Many Georgians that time in berlin had an admiration and great amount of sympathy for Admiral Canaris. Specially Prince Tsereteli and members of Georgian aristocracy in exile in France. Gabliani even claims that many Georgian POWs were saved due to an effort by Canaris and Georgian Congress in Berlin. Therefore, they had some serious connection. Both sides shared their hatred for Hitler and the Nazi regime.

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 07 Dec 2005, 00:34

Both sides shared their hatred for Hitler and the Nazi regime.
Yes, that's one of the most interesting aspects of the Abwehr leadership and many of the people around it: they hated Hitler (but feared him) and wanted to get rid of him.

Thanks for the Basset recommendation. I've added it to my list.

--Larry

LMA-17

Post by LMA-17 » 12 Dec 2005, 03:14

Any infos or pics of Nordkaukasiche Sonderkommando ‘Schamil’ ?

Thanks

Semenov

Unternahmen "Shamil"

Post by Semenov » 13 Dec 2005, 01:00

Hi,
Unternahmen "Shamil" - it is small unit from Abwehr (Rgt. 800 ?) and foreign volunteers. CO - leutnant Lange. It formed for sabotage on Groznyj oil refining factory. In this operation also participated georgien agents from "Tamara II".

Regards!

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 13 Dec 2005, 01:17

Operation "Shamiel"
An Abwehr II airborne sabotage expedition to the Caucasus under Hptm. Lange that was designed to foment an insurrection among Caucasian ethnic groups and then link up with the advancing German ground forces. Although the group penetrated as far as Groznyy, the primary objective was not achieved. Another source claims that it was "a paratroop attack in the Maikop area for the protection of the oilfields."

There are two postwar interrogation reports on Operation "Shamiel":
1. U.S. Third Army Intermediate Interrogation Report 8;
2. BAOR 031/G0927/II ("BAOR" means British Army of the Rhine).

So, as you can see, there are three different versions of what "Shamiel" had as its objective: (1) foment insurrection; (2) sabotage the Groznyy oil refineries; and (3) protect the Maikop oilfields. Which is correct?

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”