Forgotten Legion by Eduard Abramian

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Forum rules
You can support AHF when buying books etc from Amazon, Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.de by using these links.
It costs you nothing extra but it helps keep the forum up and running.
Georgien

Forgotten Legion by Eduard Abramian

Post by Georgien » 30 Jan 2006 20:42

Just recently I received mail from Yerevan, Armenia. It was a book by Eduard Abramian “Forgotten Legion” just published in Armenia.
This book covers the history of Bergman battalion from its upbringing till its downfall. I think it is the best book ever published on Bergman battalion. It also has detailed information about the formation of Armenian, Georgian, Azeri and North Caucasian units within Abwehr, SD, SS and later Wermacht. What fascinated me was that author has an extensive research on Georgian and Armenian Diasporas of Germany and France and their connection with high german command (Rosemberg, Canaris, etc). The book starts with Polish-backed operation called “Prometey” which involved Armenian and Georgian sabotage groups against Soviet regime in the Caucasus (idea later adopted by Thir Reich by creating Caucasian legions).
There is very interesting chapter about Armenian groups in Abwehr and Georgian “Tamar” of Abwehr II.

However, the whole book covers the Bergman battalion and its units all across Europe. The book has rare photos (probably from Mr Abramians collection) of Georgian Princes Dadiani and Chavchavadze, General Magkalekidze, Training camps in the Alps, Photo of lieutenant Gabliani (I think Gabliani himself did not see that photo), Sarkisian, Armenian volunteers celebrating, Caucasians in Crimea and Azeri volunteers during the Warsaw uprising.
If you know Russian and the topic of Bergman battalion interest you, I highly recommend it.

Rand

Post by Rand » 31 Jan 2006 02:22

This book is only available in Russian??? :x

I would love to see the pics of these men in Warsaw. If you have time, please post them.

Rand.

Georgien

Post by Georgien » 31 Jan 2006 04:02

Armenische Legionar

Eduardjan do you have those photos of azeri volunteers in Warwas?

Rand i hope some day they will translate it into english. But if you need any info let me know and i will translate it.

Armenische_Legionar

Post by Armenische_Legionar » 03 Feb 2006 13:50

Hello

Hire is some photos of Azeri legioaries in Warsau. (from my collection)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rand

Post by Rand » 03 Feb 2006 21:13

They look well equipped.

Rand.

Benoit Douville
Financial supporter

Post by Benoit Douville » 07 Feb 2006 02:28

I also received the book by Mail from Eduard and the amount of information and the pictures is totally amazing. What a great work by Eduard, really appreciated.

Regards

grekiskaGripen

?

Post by grekiskaGripen » 07 Feb 2006 09:56

Is there maybe by any chance reference to pontian Greeks who served in Armenian or other Caucasian formation, some picture????? My relatives and many pontians came from Kars not all of them came before WWII.

Still looking for Greeks :) , thanks in advance

Armenische_Legionar

Re: ?

Post by Armenische_Legionar » 08 Feb 2006 12:33

grekiskaGripen wrote:Is there maybe by any chance reference to pontian Greeks who served in Armenian or other Caucasian formation, some picture????? My relatives and many pontians came from Kars not all of them came before WWII.

Still looking for Greeks :) , thanks in advance

Hi
WOW, your relatives really from Kars?
My grant-relatives from Erzerum (Karin) came to Caucasian Armenian during the Genocide 1915. And thousands of pontians were killed in 1915-1916.

I'm unfortunately haven't some pics, but know an ex-legionary in Armenian I/125 battalion. He was a greek. He died in 2003. And he told me the story about greeks in Armenian Wehrmacht formations. His name was Andronik Karamanov (Karamanis)
:wink:

Martin Månsson
Financial supporter

Post by Martin Månsson » 08 Feb 2006 18:12

Where can I find a copy of this book? Can anyone post a scan of the cover?

Thanks in advance.

Martin

Armenische_Legionar

Post by Armenische_Legionar » 10 Feb 2006 14:39

Hi
You just can send me your address? I'll send an exemplar to you.

All the Best!

Eduard

Kunikov

Post by Kunikov » 11 Feb 2006 18:07

If this book is in Russian I am very interested in getting in, is it available for sale online or something?

grekiskaGripen

Post by grekiskaGripen » 18 Feb 2006 00:35

Armenische_Legionar

Thank you for your reply. Indeed most of the pontian Greeks living in my hometown Kilkis,Greece are from Kars.
I would appreciate any further information on their experience and the units they belonged to.
if any additional information comes up please let me know, my email: sirdimman@hotmail.com

Thank you :wink:

Armenische_Legionar

Post by Armenische_Legionar » 25 Feb 2006 21:49

Ok, If I'll find something interesting about Greeks, let you know...

Lars Gyllenhaal

Zabytyj Legion

Post by Lars Gyllenhaal » 28 Feb 2006 08:27

I agree that this is a very interesting and well-written book. Some really amazing photos too - I had only seen two of them before (and I believe I saw those in a Russian book that none of you will have seen, most probably).

However, the photo of the Bergmann MG34-team on Crimea in 1944 should have been on the cover! Or one of the other great photos. The current cover may look pretty neat but doesn´t show anything special - the attacking German infantrymen show no signs of special status. The contents of the book are much better. Anyone with an interest in "Bergmann" and/or the Caucasus in WWII will appreciate this book.

Personally, I especially appreciated the appendix with many documents, illustrations of insignia etc.

It is a pity that this book so far is only available in the Russian language. If a new Russian edition is printed I suggest that at least English captions be added, and a name index too. But best of all would be a complete translation of the book.

Has anyone here read Freiwillige vom Kaukasus, published in 2003? How does it compare to Zabytyj Legion?

Cheerio,

Lars

Lars Gyllenhaal

Wow!

Post by Lars Gyllenhaal » 11 Feb 2007 21:33

Just learned that this book has just become available in English.

I found it most interesting and anyone who likes obscure German formations will probably agree.

Here´s a link to the publisher: http://www.europabooks.com

My congratulations to the author and publisher for having filled a gap.

Yours sincerely,

Lars

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”