Luftwaffe at Crete

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Phillip

Luftwaffe at Crete

Post by Phillip » 14 Feb 2006 00:34

Hello
i hope this is the right forum.

I am currently making some research for an article about Operation Merkur and have two questions.

1. I have read that there were some Fallschirmjäger at Crete who were not professional soldiers. I read an ebook about an soldier who was forced to fight at crete because of the universal conscription.
I now that there was this general conscription in germany but i always thought that it was later in the war and only for the Heer.
Do you have information about this?
It is really important for me to know if there were only professional soldiers at crete.

2. I read that the parachute of the German ammo crates were not in the same color as the parachute of the soldiers were.
Is is true that the ammo crates had green parachutes?

brustcan

Re: Luftwaffe at Crete

Post by brustcan » 15 Feb 2006 04:20

Phillip wrote:Hello
i hope this is the right forum.

I am currently making some research for an article about Operation Merkur and have two questions.

1. I have read that there were some Fallschirmjäger at Crete who were not professional soldiers. I read an ebook about an soldier who was forced to fight at crete because of the universal conscription.
I now that there was this general conscription in germany but i always thought that it was later in the war and only for the Heer.
Do you have information about this?
It is really important for me to know if there were only professional soldiers at crete.

2. I read that the parachute of the German ammo crates were not in the same color as the parachute of the soldiers were.
Is is true that the ammo crates had green parachutes?
Hello! In February 1933, Goering in his capacity as Chief of the Prussian police, ordered a Major Wecke of that force to rise a special law enforcement, anti-terriost group. Police Group Wecke had 14 officers and 400 men. Christmas 1933 the name was changed to Provincial Police Group Goering, and then to the
General Goering Regiment. On January 29, 1936 Goering decided that one of it's battalions should be trained and equipped as paratroopers. A Luftwaffe Paratroop Training School was set up at Stendal airfield. May 11, 1936 the Hermann Goering parachute battalion was being trained and dropped from planes. The 7th Flieger Division had besides it's paratroopers, the Army's 22(Airlanding) Division. After the
paratroopers captured an airfield, the 22nd would be landed by Ju-52,s and then fight as normal infantry.
German parachutes were made of light, soft silk, which would unfold easily from the pack. The parachutes
were normally a 'natural white' color, and the belief grew among the Fallschirmjaeger that colored 'chutes(which were used for canisters) inhibited opening. cheers brustcan.

Andreas

Post by Andreas » 15 Feb 2006 13:45

Conscription was introduced to recruit for all services in 1935. I am not sure whether the initial Fallschirmjägerverbände were a volunteer formation, but I doubt it.

All the best

Andreas

Phillip

Post by Phillip » 15 Feb 2006 14:13

Okay thank you.

And i just saw the Wochenschau from the 06.06.1941 and the parachute of the supply crates looks definitive white.

Phillip

Post by Phillip » 18 Feb 2006 13:49

Ah another question, don't the paratroopers use other rank names than the Wehrmacht soldiers?

I think the paratroopers use Jäger instead of Schütze as the first rank, right?

Fallschirmjäger

YES IM PRETTY SURE

Post by Fallschirmjäger » 20 Feb 2006 05:24

They used the same rank system as the luftwaffe as they where part of the luftwaffe. 8-)

Andreas

Post by Andreas » 20 Feb 2006 11:05

Phillip wrote:Ah another question, don't the paratroopers use other rank names than the Wehrmacht soldiers?

I think the paratroopers use Jäger instead of Schütze as the first rank, right?
Phillip

I believe you are correct and the lowest rank was called Jäger. But that rank also existed in the Heer (please note that the Wehrmacht included the Heer, Luftwaffe, and Kriegsmarine), e.g. in the Jägerdivisionen and the Gebirgsjägerdivisionen, IIRC. Basic Heer ranks were different based on the arm of service, you could be Schütze, Kanonier, Jäger, Reiter, etc. In the Luftwaffe the lowest rank was probably Flieger, and Jäger in the paratroops.

But I am not an expert, so take this cum grano salis.

All the best

Andreas

Fallschirmjäger

Re: YES IM PRETTY SURE

Post by Fallschirmjäger » 21 Feb 2006 00:54

Fallschirmjäger: wrote:They used the same rank system as the luftwaffe as they where part of the luftwaffe. 8-)
Ok i was wrong the fallschirmjäger have many the same but also different ranks aswell,heres a link that may help.http://www.eagle19.freeserve.co.uk/insignia.htm

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 25 Feb 2006 14:47

Universal conscription might have got a man into the RAD or Luftwaffe but until late 1944 only volunteers were accepted into the Fallschirmjäger.

German parachutes used at Crete in 1941 by fighting personnel were either in cammo or white silk.Photos of the drop show a mix of white and cammo parachutes.Officers at Crete were said to be issued with white parachutes to act as a rallying point.The RZ16 parachute was still the basis for the force but some sources suggest the new RZ20 was used by some paras as well.The RZ20 subsequently used until 1943 were purely made in cammo.

Food and supply canisters had white parachutes,medical supplies had yellow chutes,weapons and ammo,green parachutes.

Phillip

Post by Phillip » 26 Feb 2006 23:22

Universal conscription might have got a man into the RAD or Luftwaffe but until late 1944 only volunteers were accepted into the Fallschirmjäger.

German parachutes used at Crete in 1941 by fighting personnel were either in cammo or white silk.Photos of the drop show a mix of white and cammo parachutes.Officers at Crete were said to be issued with white parachutes to act as a rallying point.The RZ16 parachute was still the basis for the force but some sources suggest the new RZ20 was used by some paras as well.The RZ20 subsequently used until 1943 were purely made in cammo.

Food and supply canisters had white parachutes,medical supplies had yellow chutes,weapons and ammo,green parachutes.
Thanks for the info

Maybe it was just a lie that the paratrooper telled he had to be on Crete because of the universal conscription.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”